Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Chartres to Monts (June 2)

For some reason, today was silly signs day.  This so cracked me up.
I saw other variations like 1000 pains, and also pat-a-pain which made more sense.  Sign on a loo door.
I saw a sign for Josnes (the dyslexic Jones's?) and so on - perhaps it was me and I needed a coffee or something.  I did a big detour via Orleans.  It was a gorgeous day.  I saw this guy on the main street - how could I not donate? (In case you can't see, he's wearing a grass skirt, funny ears in his hair, and his begging bowl has breasts and a bra - I have no idea what he was collecting money for, by the way.)
I must have given him too much, because he also offered to kiss me.  When I said a horrified "no!" all his friends (who were getting enormous entertainment value by following him down the street) just laughed and laughed.  Great fun.  I probably shouldn't have really stopped here because it was a hugely rushed look around.  Here is the Maid in the main square.
A tram provides access to the downtown area, so there are few cars.  The cathedral.
 Ads via bike.
Lunch was a glass of cider and a really delicious pasta dish.
I'll leave you to translate.
I wanted to fit a quick side trip to Chambord, en route.  Not only is the chateau enormous
but the tourism around it is huge - you can stay in a hotel which looks onto the chateau, there are lots of places to eat and shops on the property.  It must generate a fortune.  Too many people and too touristy for me.  I just took a photo and left.  There are so many sights on the road, that if I stopped for everything that caught my eye, I would never get anywhere.  But I did stop for this - just sitting there minding its own business was another chateau - I have no idea of its name.
I had arranged to be at Monts by 4, but I was running late.  Mainly because I got totally lost in Tours and couldn't find the right subsidiary road.  As luck would have it, I followed my nose and got there in the end.  The owners are the nicest couple you could ever hope to meet.  I was given a welcome glass of wine and a plate of nibbles. 
On the right is some rillettes a sort of pork pate that David had a hand in making.  Melt in the mouth.  All day had been wonderfully warm and sunny.  In the evening, there was a hailstorm.

No comments:

Post a Comment