Saturday, June 16, 2012

Singapore (14 June)

I got off the plane OK, but my naughty little camera hid itself in one of the seat pockets, and I had to go back and rescue it.  It was odd seeing everyone standing on the left of the travelator.  (Must. Remember. Drive. On. Left. Side. Of. Road.)  There was a huge bottle neck at the immigration checkpoint - I guess processing 485 or so people takes time.  Wall art kept me interested for a while,
and then I thought of our forlorn luggage, going round and round, wondering if we would ever be united again - we were.  By the way, when we landed at 6.35am, it was already 28 degrees - yes!  It was too early to check in, so I left my luggage and did some sight seeing.  I caught a double decker bus - I haven't been on one of these since school.  I got the top front seat too!  Look - I can see the top of the bus shelter!
I was headed to the Quay and Bay area.  Pod lifts.
 
 Public art.
 
The Marina Sands is some building.
 I have no idea what this is.
You cross via the Helix Bridge to get there
but I was heading the other way to see Mr Merlion, the brainchild of a tourist campaign from the 80s.
I was literally dragging my feet.  I was thirsty and hungry and jet-lagged and caffeine deprived.  I fixed one of those problems with an blended ice fruit drink -sorry - cuppy!
 
A red plum flavour first - nice and sour.  And then I went back for a lemon one.  And fixed the hunger thing with a laksa - not such a hot idea when you're wearing a white blouse, but the stains faded.
I went back to the hotel and crashed.  I then got up in time for dinner - a rose bandung to drink
carrot cake - the base made of flour, water and shredded daikon, and topped with soy sauce, spring onion, bits of meat - yummy!
and chicken claw.  I won't go on about it, but it was truly delicious.
There was still plenty of heat around, so a cooling dessert sounded good to me - red bean and peanut ice kachang was perfect.

No comments:

Post a Comment