Saturday, June 16, 2012

Singapore (15 June)

I decided to take it easy this morning - most things don't really open until 11.  I left the room at 12 and headed straight to lunch.  Another laksa - this time with heaps of oysters, one prawn and tofu.
I have always been a fan, but many of them in Australia now have an oversweet coconut milk base - they are more savoury here.  I drank an ice cold Milo - haven't had a Milo for more years than I can remember.  I could have had a "dinosaur" which means an large spoon of dry milo on the top.  There's even a "godzilla" with ice cream or whipped cream.
I caught the bus downtown again, but unlike yesterday it was not a double decker and was absolutely packed.  I was heading for the contemporary art museum.  It was taken over by kids' activities - including this fun circular table tennis table.
So I went to the main gallery - SAM.  I was in time for the guided tour, and we focused on the Panorama exhibit, subtitled "Contemporary Art from Recent Asia".  The volunteer guide was wonderful and we saw some amazing art.  One artist started her paintings with dark paint and then layer by layer masked the paint and painted light colours over the top.  The result is a shimmery, almost op art but visually softer, layered work.  Impressive. (This is part of a triptych - the artists is Om Mee Ai)
As part of my entry fee I was entitled to a free ceramic flower - but when I got there, I found that they were still wet clay - I didn't see my chances of getting it home OK, so I declined.  Around the walls were pieces of clay that had been textured using every day objects - the humble bull dog clip leaves great prints.
The installation was called "Everyday Wonders" and [I am quoting now from the information on the wall] was inspired by artist Loh Sau Kuen's experience from teaching individuals with special needs.  She hoped to develop awareness and cultivate meaningful appreciation of art through the use of familiar objects.
Well, it was a few hours since I had eaten, so I stopped off and had another ice dessert - gingko nuts and lotus seeds - the juice had an iced tea flavour.
I was looking for sunglasses, and generally window shopping.  I thought a real coffee would be a good idea, and had a tiramisu icecream and fruit thingy to go with it.
Sadly, these western style places in malls are three times as expensive as the hawker centres I've been eating and drinking at.  Nice pattern.
I had a lovely wander through shops in Sim Lim Square - full of electronic/computer/camera stores - and then started walking home.  I heard the call to prayer and saw lots of faithful washing their feet before heading into the mosque.
I stopped at an Indian Arcade - that's my hand being made beautiful.
and here is the finished design.
The henna is like chocolate icing when it goes on.  It takes a while to dry and then just crumbles off.  I picked off a fair bit on my walk to the hotel, but when I emptied my bag there were lots of bits in there as well.  The stain on my skin is not dark but is still visible - it will last about 2 weeks.

1 comment:

  1. You're probably home by now - welcome back & thank you for the wonderful journey - enjoyed every km!

    ReplyDelete