Thursday, June 7, 2012

Monts (June 6)

Today was a stay at home day, exploring the town where I'm staying - Monts.  In the morning  I walked along the main street to the other end of town, passing the tiny weekly market - 4 trucks.   Here are some things that caught my eye on the way.
 A vending machine for flowers!
 Quilty!
Time for a break.
There was sun and I read for a while before heading home.  I'm staying in a mill.
This is my building - I enter through the green door on the left.  I have a studio downstairs, and there's another one upstairs.  The white door on the right with 6 window panes is going to be developed into more accommodation in the future
The building to the left (not in frame) is where the owners live.  Further along is another mill - it used to be the centre for the Red Cross in the area.
After lunch I walked around a different part of the town.  Men here don't seem to be too modest.
The church had a couple of surprising art works.  A very primitive style that I liked a lot.
And a painting I took to be an icon donated by a Polish family.
This part of town, around the church, was probably the centre of town life at one stage, but this shop is for sale.
and it's been a long time since this store stocked groceries.
The town map I'd been looking for when I first arrived is tucked in here behind the church - I had no hope on earth of stumbling across it! 
The bells ring every hour and half hour.
Given the extremely narrow streets, every inch counts.

2 comments:

  1. What a disappointing afternoon tea - one little bikkie! Where was the good stuff?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those privy doors are awfully high- must be tall men in that village!

    ReplyDelete