Tuesday, May 5, 2015

On the Road, Monday 4 May 2015

After eight nights in the Doubletree, Portland, I managed to nonethless to cram everything into one large case, one carryon, and my crossbody bag. My roomie, Ann, was a bit astounded I think as I'd had my stuff all over the place. Quite a few bits and pieces were left behind, though (magazines, map of Australia, gift chocolates...)

I was so lucky to have Ann as my room mate - from stranger to friend in a few short days.

At the airport I found Alamo, did all the paperwork and was shown to my shiny new car - SO EXCITING!

You won't be surprised to learn that I was a tad nervous - not too much though. I found route East 84 without any mishaps and I really cried for joy. Such an adventure!

This part of Oregon is truly stunning. Misty mountains, trees and bodies of water. I pulled over to try to capture the beauty
There was a lot of driving on the agenda today. I decided to go to Pendleton for the Woolen Mill. It's a quiet place, but very proud of being the 'real' west! A bit of fun in the Information Centre.
At the Mill, the looms were in working mode, a nice rhythmic sound. I scored a lovely offcut. Right side
 wrong side.
I saw this at the Mill and elsewhere in town.
Accommodation tonight is at the Quality Inn, Spokane. The young woman on reception has to be the NICEST person on the planet. There was a pile of cookies in the foyer, and I was just in time for hospitality hour: wine/beer/drink plus hotdogs. I was going to be soooo good, but......

8 comments:

  1. Love it! and wish I was there sharing this road trip. You posts will be a great substitute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Kate, where is your peregrination taking you? We're in Fort Wayne Indiana toady and heading for Madison Wisconsin tomorrow. We'll be there a week before heading to Cedar Rapids for the Machine Quilter Showcase on Friday, 15th May.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey John! Lovely to hear from you. I'm in Missoula at the moment. heading via Butte to Yellowstone. Then on to Mt Rushmore. Not 100% sure after that, but aim to be in Minneapolis by the 12th. There's a Trade Show on there and I've signed up for a few things prior to the Show that weekend. After that I's flying to Chicago - will be there for 18/19 May, then I'm thinking about heading to Paducah somehow before flying to Ohio (Dairy barn) for a Symposium on the 23rd. Then it's home lol

      Delete
  3. Kate - so envious - thanks for the word pictures and the photos- drive safe! We want to see you back here

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad you're showing us what you're seeing, using words and pictures. And I love that you're telling us what you're eating and drinking.
    And all those marvellous, mysterious names I've seen on maps....Spokane, Missoula...Butte. sigh....

    ReplyDelete
  5. And so PROUD of you.....all by yourself!!! You go, girly. x

    ReplyDelete