Saturday, May 9, 2015

Spokane WA, Tuesday 5 May 2015

A brief comment last night at check in led me to backtrack slightly to check out the Spokane Riverfront Park. It was 9 am but so quiet! Most things seem to get going around 11, so I only had the company of dog walkers and joggers. All dressed in puffy jackets, beanies and gloves. Well almost all.

This development grew out of the leftover 1974 Expo site. I was drawn to the waterfall (which still drives the turbines for power to Spokane).

In one area there was a series of plaques commemorating the Christian pioneers of the area. I'm the opposite of religious, but I was taken with their human stories. Such as Spokane Gary who was an interpreter and peacemaker and was 'often praised, often condemned' and died a forgotten figure. Or Reverend Havermale who had been in the Ministry for years, came to the northwest, set up the first Methodist pastor, but left that year 'for business ventures'. What could they have been to turn him from his ministry?

The fountain in another part of the park had lines of  fish (with names of donors)  'swimming' to the water.
The Lilac Bloomsday run happens here on the first Sunday in May every year - I love this sculpture commemorating it. It's called 'The Joy of Running Together.'
A former Montgomery Ward Building now houses Spokane City Hall
One side of the building had had some vines removed and I loved the tracery left behind

 and this grating caught my eye - steampunk or what?
Here's another shot of the falls from the Monroe bridge.
As you can see, you can take a gondola ride across, and it stops for a photo opportunity. I was pretty happy with my view from the bridge.

By the way, the bridge was described as 'iconic', and I felt bad I'd never heard of it. It was immensely striking though -

1 comment:

  1. I love that you photograph big - water/bridge/etc - and little - FABBO grating! And the vine tracery!! What an eye. What a girl. x

    ReplyDelete