Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Paducah KY to Athens OH, Friday 22 May 2015

I still had the car – my plan was to keep it until I needed to be at the airport for my flight this afternoon. I was over hotel breakfasts. Sure they are free, but there is pretty much nothing that is not processed. You can smell the chemicals as you walk by. So I ate at IHOP – it was as good as I remembered. I tried the Country Fried steak with gravy. Mmmm.
At the Quilting Museum I saw some amazing miniatures. The work of Diane Gaudynski was amazing to see close up. I also saw a SAQA exhibition ‘Food for Thought’. The other quilts were nice, but a tad on the boring side I have to say.

In a side room was ‘quilt’ carved from wood by Fraser Smith. Photography was not allowed anywhere in the museum, but there was a sample piece of his work that you could handle and photograph.

I loved the stained glass windows in the foyer area.
Paducah also has a Quilt Trail, so of course I had to try to find some quilts on buildings.
Quite a few were also on the Quilt in a Day warehouse building.
What a welcoming little area!
Relatively new to the scene is this maker space called (surprise!) Make. I loved it!
Today was sunny which changed my feelings about Paducah for the positive.

I left Paducah on a 4pm flight, heading for Coumbus Ohio via Chicago. At Columbus I picked up a car and drove to Athens. I should have gone south, but headed east at first. I knew something was wrong when the road started getting narrower and narrower and more suburban. Thank god for wireless and mobile phones. I checked the map and got on track.

I finally checked in at midnight. Even the longest day comes to an end.

No comments:

Post a Comment