Monday, April 23, 2012

Antiquite - Brocante and Canal St Martin (April 21)

I saw a few of these signs on the way in from the airport
and noted the address, but not the Metro station.  So the first part of the day involved finding my local Metro - very close! - navigating the machine to buy a ticket, trying to explain to the guy in the ticket office at Belleville that I exited by mistake (he kindly revalidated the ticket), getting out at the wrong Metro and then changing direction three times - three times on the same street! before I finally started heading the right way.  And this was WITH a map.  Sigh.  On the bright side, I provided amusement to the men sitting at the cafe.  Also on the bright side I found some photo opps that I wouldn't have otherwise.  Runners anyone?
Electric cars for hire -
As it turned out, things don't really get going all that early here - even close to 10 some stall holders were only just setting up, so I didn't miss anything with my Wrong Way Corrigan antics.  Don't be fooled by all that "Paris in Spring" talk - it is COLD!!  I warmed up by having a freshly made crepe with creme de marrons (a sweet chestnut puree).
The lovely crepe lady and I had a halting conversation, god knows what I said, but there were lots of smiles.  At one of the stalls - foulards 1euro - a fellow rummager asked my opinion about her selection - did it look good?  Gestures and a few words went a long way.  I found a gorgeous green one: silk and Made in France.  I was happy.
There were still plenty of hours in the day, so being the walker I am I put one foot in front of the other and walked.  One end of the market was very close to the Canal St Martin. 
 Who says Parisians are only into black?

No comments:

Post a Comment