Monday, April 30, 2012

My Place

This is the street entrance to my place on the rue de Malte. 
This is the entire building - number 62.
You can't actually see the windows of my place from the street - you can probably see the railings right at the top - well two thirds of that railing belong to my balcony, and I have two dormer windows that open onto the balcony (it's about 1.5 metres wide).  Here's a photo where I'm standing in front of one of my windows looking at the second window - you can see a tiny bit of fake grass on the balcony.
If I turn right when I come out my front door I come to a cafe on the corner.
Very close, very French, very noisy at night when the drunks shout all sorts of things.  Urban life is noisy - no doubt about it - from the shouts to the sirens to the cleaners - there's always something.  And it's not always bad.  One day I heard a commotion during the day and rushed out to see what was happening- a procession! They are heading to the square.
Just across the street from the cafe, on the other corner, is a shop with an artisan boulanger patissier.  The bread is nice, but the pastries are divine!
On the opposite side of the street from my front door is a station for hire bikes - velib.
Once the weather gets better I'll give them a go.  If I turn right at my front door, take a right on the street between the cafe and the patisserie, I come to a small art shop
Not bad, eh?  Now here's a shot from my balcony, looking straight down onto the street.
When I go out my front door, turn right, then cross the road at the cafe and walk between the buildings opposite, I'm at the Republique metro station.  I can see the statue in the square as I walk down the steps to the station.  If I turn left at my front door, I walk less than a block and I'm at a nice local supermaket with a very good selection of cheap French wine - perfect!

2 comments:

  1. Everything you need to make life perfect for one living in Paris for a time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a perfect location and some sunshine today!

    ReplyDelete