Monday, April 23, 2012

Les Puces (April 22)

I fared better on the Metro this time - I bought a carnet - 10 tickets - so I'm set for a while.  I got out at the right place, and just followed the crowds to the oldest and largest flea market in Paris, Marche aux Puces de St-Ouen.  It covers an area of 6ha, and is in fact a whole series of different markets.  You'll find everything from junk (almost literally) to high end antiques.  There are signs everywhere.
I saw a hot chestnut stand, so of course got a small bag -
They keep you warm and are very yummy.  I was on the hunt for Asterix and Obelix in French, and this stand seemed like a good bet.
It took a while - the old proprietor kept vanishing inside the cave and coming up with more volumes - but in the end I got all but one on my list.  There were assorted men hanging around - kind of helping? keeping the owner company? - including one not-so-old toothless man who seemed to be hawking half eaten bread and cakes.  I guess he was homeless and made a few euro this way - who knows. 
In the retro/salvage/antiquey area I found R2D2
 In another area, a shop filled with interesting wooden pieces, I saw this wonderful elephant
Best of all, I found a puffy coat, just like all the locals wear.  OK it's dark brown, not black, so I'm not a true Parisian, but I'm WARM!!!

2 comments:

  1. Loved your first weekend in Paris - those steps to your apartment will certanly keep you fit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That R2D2 looks like steampunk!

    ReplyDelete