Sunday, April 29, 2012

Place des Fetes (April 28)

Another market, this time only a few metro stops away, beckoned this morning.  But first, an important detour to get these.
The metro stop, Place des Fetes, is one of the deepest in Paris at 22.45 metres below street level.  That's why I didn't look down going up the escalator.
You literally can't miss the market - it starts as soon as you step outside the metro, and stretches around the square and down the road.
CDs for 2.50 euro each?  Still wrapped?  I'll take 4!
It was more trash and treasure than anything - can't imagine why you would want these.
I would love to have somewhere to put one of these.
 Time for my daily pastry - crunchy icing sugar on top of a light, sweetish bun dough.  Mmmm.
An old adding machine.
 Bring back any memories?
I knew I wasn't too far from home, so I walked back - my feet were not as raw as they were in the morning.  By "not too far" I mean about 2.5km - it's a pretty straight line.  Part of my walk was back long the same route I'd taken the other day when I was looking for the canal.  You don't expect to see a real life organ grinder outside the supermarket (with a gorgeous dog instead of a monkey).
This line up was for rotisserie chickens as far as I can tell - no other similar shop had so many people waiting, so I guess they give you something quite special here.
 Clouds.
 "We must be wary of words".
No Parking - an interesting name for a coffee shop - in a boho/arty area (just below the sign in the previous picture).
 In the window of the same cafe - totally agree!!
"Invader" is a street artist who has been leaving his mark all over Paris since 1996.  He bases his tile art on images from the video game Space Invaders.  I've walked past here before, but didn't see anything then.  And that's part of what he's trying to say.  There are over 500 of these all across Paris - you can even get a book to show where they're located.

No comments:

Post a Comment