Sunday, April 22, 2012

Singapore Part 6 (April 19)

Because of the rain I didn't get to the marina area - next time.  I did see the museum of firefighters - from the outside.
And sampled another cendol - this time with durian.
I also walked around the grounds of the Armenian Church - the oldest Christian church in Singapore.  It's full title is Armenian Apostolic Church of St Gregory the Illuminator.  It was peaceful in the grounds, and resting there was Agnes Joaquim, after whom the national flower of Sinpore was named.
Then I discovered Bugis Street - a loud and busy market.  I wonder if any houses are for sale on this street?
And look - a whole stall of durian - even at S$5 I have to try some.
 I have been reading about this fruit for so long - how you can't eat it just anywhere, it stinks so much; that it's like eating the most delicious mango in a toilet.  My take is thatthe smell is like fermented/off onion.  Quite unpleasant but not gaggingly so.  The taste is like a creamy mango - milder and not as fibrous, but similar.  Very pleasant, but the earth did not move.  Look at the huge seeds!
As luck would have it, I took the fruit across the road from the stall to eat it in a hawker centre - and right there was someone selling rojak!  This spicy, fresh-tasting salad has a kick and is very moreish.  Yep - the utensils are overgrown toothpicks.
The guy must have been stuck behind that counter for hours as there was always a queue.  I watched him make it fresh - tossing all the ingredients from one bowl to another. 
And look!  An ice cream sandwhich in rainbow bread - very Singaporean.  I chose the yam flavoured ice cream - it was a mauve colour, but didn't strongly taste of anything.
More buildings seen on my wanderings today

1 comment:

  1. Vic has had that rainbow bread - not my taste - you've whetted my appetite for Singapore again

    ReplyDelete