Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Pompidou Centre (April 23)

I've waited 30 years to go into this building - it's one of the first things I think about when I think of Paris.  It's imposing and different and exciting.  Last time I hung around outside, being too mean/too poor to pay the entry.  The weather was good then and the forecourt was full of people doing stuff - magicians and buskers.  This time the weather was just too lousy for anything more than a forlorn looking bubble-maker and a portrait painter huddled under cover.  I took the excalators up to the top - yikes!  I don't like heights and my fear of escalators came back a bit - but I made it.
 Look how narrow this house is!
The line up for Matisse was immense, so I went down a couple of levels to the permanent displays.  I saw one part of the contempary art section - I just couldn't take any more in - it was so wonderful and stimulating.  There was a sign that I thought meant no photographs, but plenty of people were clicking away so I did too.  Here are some of my faves.  This massive piece greets you on entry - it's made up of found metal bits - squashed bottle tops and things like that - "sewn" together with wire.  It's by El Anatsui.
This is by Katharina Grosse.
This (below) is by Allan McCollum - replacing the painting with something equivalent, in this case casts from rubber moulds. 
Alighiero Boetti's Tutto.  It's embroidered - he asked Afghan refugee embroiderers in Pakistan to help with the distribution of colour - the same amount of thread was available to each.
Incredible, amazing texture.  Loved this, by Pierre Soulages. The photo of course doesn't do it justice, or show that it's quite large.
Dubuffet.
Ellsworth Kelly
Visually and emotionally and intellectually stimulating.  So I sat and relaxed in a Corbusier chair to contemplate the next part of my day.

No comments:

Post a Comment