Saturday, April 21, 2012

Singapore - Part 3 (18 April)

Singapore is all about the food.  I found a place in Little India recommended by the guidebook - English is definitely not a first language around here, but I did end up with a great chicken curry.
Ordering is the least of it - the etiquette is important.  There is a basin - or two or more - at all of these hawker-style eateries.  So you wash you hands before - and after - eating.  At Indian places like this you eat only with your right hand - and I tell you that is NOT easy.  I sat and observed (AFTER I made a hash of it ) and picked up a few tips about how to roll the chapati so as to be able to pull bits off. It was so fun and I know I'll get better.  It's the kind of place where workers eat - cheap and fast and fresh.  So it's very basic - plastic stools, laminate tables. Elsewhere I found Indian sweets - what a selection!
 These are dense and sweet with silver leaf - interesting when the metal hits a filling!
 My favourite - like a jelly jam, not too sweet, with nuts - sensuous.
A chocolate coloured doughnut shaped sweet with a dry banana bread consistency - not bad, but I wouldn't bother having it again.
Gulab jamun by the bucket
I'm dying to order coffee like this.
Hawker centres have a lage number of stalls - like an open air food court.  Sometimes there's a wet market as part of the complex, where you can buy fresh fish and fruit and veggies.  This is chendol/cendol - a desset/drink with coconut milk, shaved ice, green jelly, red beans corn...and I don't know what else to be honest - but it was perfect for this weather!
Another taste to add to my "will try one day" list.

No comments:

Post a Comment