Saturday, April 21, 2012

Singapore Part 4 (April 19)

I decided I needed to go to the Mustafa Centre to get a few things - it's open 24 hours.  Directions people give you are always tricky - "just go straight down that road and it's there", when translated, meant "go down this road, veer left, turn right, go to the end of the street, cross the busy road, go up a bit and follow that street, and there it is".  Then again, had I followed the road when it veered right, it might have taken me directly there.  Or not.  Or, again, it might just be my woeful sense of direction.  I can only take in one piece of information at a time when it comes to directions.  Hence lots of stops to refer to maps or ask people the way.
Being intrepid (transl. "foolhardy") I left the hotel armed only with the verbal directions, and so I had a very pleasant early morning wander around the backstreets watching people start their day.  A huge bit of good luck meant I found my hoped-for kaya toast for breakfast.
 This is a local specialty - a spread made of eggs, coconut milk, sugar and pandan
 They were not kidding about half-boiled eggs...
you add salt and soy sauce and eat with a spoon
 
The Mustafa Centre isn't a mall - more like an enormous department store spread among a few buildings and across many levels.  Perfume, luggage, electronics, groceries - you name it, it's here.
There are rows and rows and rows of products here.
I've never seen so many EFTPOS machines at one checkout
I can't help taking pictures of buildings

1 comment:

  1. Love those spiral staircases - will have to check ou building photos with my building/doorway photos of Singapore - they are all so intriguing - glad you enjoyed singapore.

    ReplyDelete