Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Chatelet, Les Halles (April 23)

I started the day with a very healthy pastry - a Paris Brest.  My first for this trip.  Look how nicely it was wrapped
It's full of gooey cream - yum!
But it was almost too much  - very rich.  Still, being the trooper I am, I finished it.  Also, being a trooper, this didn't stop me from venturing out today
I just put on another pair of shoes and lots of bandaids.  I got the Metro to Chatelet and started my walking tour.  This Palmier Fountain is in honour of Napoleon
This historic bar is in honour of Aussies
The Fontaine des Innocents is the last Renaissance fountain left in Paris
Nearby was the street where Henry IV was assassinated, and the adjoining cafe's heart and crown symbol appealed to me.
 The old Les Halles market is long gone, and the replacement shopping centre - Forum Les Halles - is itself undergoing a massive rejuvenation.  It's a shopping centre, what can I say?
There is always some sort of film being made in Paris - this notice advised people that a movie set in the 40s and 50s was going to be filmed and they wanted to keep things in period - ie no locals wandering around in anachronistic outfits
Looking up you see some great sights
I wonder whether I. M. Pei got his idea for the pyramid from this tribute to one of the architects of the Louvre

No comments:

Post a Comment