Friday, May 4, 2012

Belleville Market (May 1)

On the way home from the cemetary I thought I'd get out at Belleville and walk home - but when I saw there was a market on I thought I'd have a look - it stretched form the Belleville metro stop to Menilmontant - about 1km. 
 This is a very cosmopolitan/working class area - hence some interesting spices
 preserved lemons
 but also traditional staples like eschallots
 
Luckily I had closed in shoes as these were everywhere - and we were so crowded that quite a few ran over my foot - so glad this isn't a market for cement blocks or anything. 
The prices were ridiculous - I got 2 kilos of lovely oranges for 2 euros.  It was one of those shout-y/yell-y markets where most stall holders try to grab your attention.  Fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment