Saturday, May 5, 2012

Montmartre - Part 2 (May 3)

I followed the crowds around the Basilica to the place du Tetre.  I didn't walk through the square, just squeezed myself into a seat at the nearest OK-looking place to eat - I was hungry!  Sunshine, on my cutlery, makes me happy...I think there's a song in that.
Some wine
and a foie gras and fig paste sandwich.  It was very yummy.
It's nice to see the young people taking the trouble to dress up to go out.
I then began my wander of the backstreets.  I sat in a little square just across from here for a while.
I saw the little white train a few times, watched the garbo take rubbish away, saw stacks of people come and take photos of the building, enjoyed the life of this area as traffic came and went.  A primary school class sat on the steps in front of me while the teacher talked to them about the history of Montmartre.  I enjoyed listening to her rapid-fire French.
And if I looked right, I saw the last remaining vineyard in Paris.
Although wine is still produced from the grapes, it's not sold regularly but is auctioned off for charity.  The vineyard itself is occasionally open to the public.  According to the Gourmantic web site, the wine is "not known to be drinkable".

No comments:

Post a Comment