Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Sunday 20 May 2012


Time to move out.  I was holding my heavy suitcase in my right hand, resting it against my thigh for stability, my carry on bag was over my left shoulder and a plastic bag of rubbish in my left hand.  It was a slow process taking one step down with my right foot, then one step down with my left, then shuffling my left hand along the bannister a little.  If anyone’s ever looking for a pack donkey to navigate narrow mountain tracks, I think I’ll have a good chance of fitting the bill.  Slow and steady and all that.  I killed time with some coffee and a pain au chocolat and a newspaper in the sun.  My hotel for the night was plain and basic and shabby with no chic to speak of.  A big plus though – a lift!  It was just big enough to fit me and my luggage.  The lift itself had a concertina door and there was also a glass door to push open when leaving the lift.  In honour of the hotel’s tourist clientele, there are iconic images on the glass doors, such as the Eiffel Tower, the leaning tower of Pisa, and Big Ben.  But that little bit of excitement only lasts 3 floors – the rest of the floors have plain glass only.
I was heading to Montmartre.  Everything was dead again – another holiday?  I did snag a nice coral/orange top for 6 euro in a shop I found on the way.  I saw this interesting church and when I went closer to take some pictures, I heard wonderful music, so I went to investigate.
It was a service for the African community.  They were singing and dancing, many of them dressed in bright African batiks.  There was drumming and a tambourine and another percussion instrument – it was so uplifting.  There was quite a lot of singing, then the priest got up from the back and performed a part of the Catholic ritual.  Then there was more singing and some speaking.  I didn’t stay until the end.  Not much further along the road I saw this
and sun and moon sculptures
and a park with heaps of mosaics.
This dovecote actually has to do with controlling pigeons.
In a green space between roads there was a community garden.
For lunch I had pork roast and mash, wine of course, and a creme caramel, finishing off with an espresso.  How Parisian am I???
It was a gorgeous day, with plenty of photo opps here and there.
 I discovered a vintage shop
 
and bought 2 white blouses for 8 euro altogether.  Exciting!  On the walk home I saw the thickest asparagus I’ve ever seen.

No comments:

Post a Comment