Thursday, May 31, 2012

Oszko (May 27)

In case you're wondering, breakfast in Austria is sliced meats, cheese, tomatoes, capsicum slices, cucumber, some bread and cottage cheese.  And coffee.
Very similar to traditional German breakfasts, and to what I had growing up.  Quite healthy, really, if you leave out the solid fat "bacon" and the shot of palinka (a kind of brandy) some of my relatives like to add.  I had some time before pickup to do a bit more exploring of Wiener Neustadt.  This wall was built around 1193/1194 with the ransom money paid to the city for Richard the Lionheart.
Yes, the 1100s.  It's beautifully thick and I ran my hand over these stones a few times.
Behind the wall is a peaceful garden that was full of early morning bird sounds.  It's dotted with old headstones, and old bricks with stamps like this.
So here we are - my main reason for detouring from France.  Two Oszkos in Oszko
 ready to enjoy some fun.
There was wine to try and food to sample, and lots of friends for Zoli to catch up with.  There was a demonstration of thatch making
and a petting zoo with mangalica (mangalitsa) piglets -a rare breed.
I think they were laying in for a siege, because this was one of many vats of food.
 I did my bit.
 Elderflowers were everywhere.
On the way home we stopped at a place with lots of old fashioned farm implements.
A chance for some water to dilute all the wine, and another gesztenye puree for me.

1 comment:

  1. Looks like a Slovak breakfast, especally with the alcohol too! So great to be visiting with you.

    ReplyDelete