Friday, May 4, 2012

Concert (April 30)

I went to a concert in one of the oldest church in Paris - the Eglise Saint-Julien-Le-Pauvre.  On the way I stumbled on this world famous bookshop.
In fact, the area is right near where Le Rouvray is.  I paid 23euro to get a seat "with a view" - of the backs of heads, it turned out.  I got so excited when I saw a bit of the pianist's neck in the second half!
Chopin and Liszt were on the menu - and to my way of hearing, the pianist (Herbert du Plessis) was more technically skilled with the Chopin.  Just about all pieces demanded amazing dexterity, and he pulled it off for the most part.  There were some really exciting passages, and he definitely knew his stuff, so overall a lovely night.
During interval a few people went up to have a look at the piano (a Steinway - drool!).  What were they looking for - a transmitting device?  A pianola action?  I have no idea.  There is absolutely nothing to be seen by looking inside and walking around a piano.  I half expected one of them to kick one of the legs like you do with car tyres, or bounce it to see if the shocks were any good. 

3 comments:

  1. Saw this bookshop on an SBS program about the LUMINOUS YEARS, set in Paris- artists, writers featured from post WW1 to the 1930's.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe they were looking for the little man sitting inside putting the CD in the player

    ReplyDelete