Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Passages (April 30)

I wanted to explore the covered shopping passages I'd read about, but first thought I'd make a last ditch effort to see if my perfume had been found.  No luck.  I was helped by a very nice young man to purchase a replacement.  These people are waiting to be served at a handbag counter.
You know, even **I** would not need this sign
 when the place is lterally right there :)
Cafe creme in this place is a shot of coffee served with steaming milk.
I never tire of these surprises
 and gorgeous doorways.
There are many covered passages still in use - they are mainly clustered in the 2e arrondissement. 
One dates from the 1700s, but most from the 1800s.  An early kind of mall I guess.  I expected QVB type beauty, but some were quite run down, dare I say tacky.  Still, there were heaps of interesting details to enjoy.  Students were sketching in one, and there were people about in all of them.  The shops are very individual.  I saw a few cross stitch places
and made a purchase in this one - Ladies' Paradise.
There were certainly interesting items to look at - earrings
new old stock from old shops and factories
 curiosities
 "Invader" style art with post-it notes
highly decorated seating outside an Indian restaurant - exactly opposite the only other Indian restaurant in the place.

2 comments:

  1. Kate, I am so loving reading about your journey , shame about the perfume. Sounds like such fun, hope to get there one day soon myself. Raining here too if its any consolation!
    Keep trying those pastries they look yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like Jane, I love that you are sharing your everyday experiences with us - and can almost taste those pastries. It certainly seems like a different way of life than we are used to.

    ReplyDelete