Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Musee Marmottan Monet (April 29)

Once I'd warmed up, my mood brightened.  And the sky did too - look!
Because I'd had an early start there was still plenty of the day left, so I headed to Musee Marmottan which apparently holds the largest collection of Monets in the world.  The building itself has an interesting history, it started as a hunting lodge, and through various bequests is now a museum with all those Monets.   There were other impressionist paintings too.  "Impression, soleil levant" showing sunrise over the water, and which gave rise to the term "impressionism", was awsome, as  was Rouen cathedral.  You could look at them so close up it was amazing.  Others were not as pleasing - the later ones of the water lily pond had (to me) harsher lines.  I took no photos of the paintings, but here are some shots of the building

The above is a glass floor on the second level.

No comments:

Post a Comment