Thursday, May 17, 2012

Wednesday May 16 - Part 1

Before I arrived I wondered whether I would find any markets, but I seem to find them everywhere.  On the rue de Grenelle I "bumped into" the regular Wednesday market (it's also on on Sundays).  It's located under the metro bridge.
Clothes, fresh food and prepared meals were on offer.  Favourites?  The fish stalls - glistening whole fish resting on beds of white ice, with the tangy scent of the sea.  The large stand where you can buy meals to take home: ready-made beef burgundy or paella, or gorgeous cooked meats and sauerkraut - I walked past twice to savour the aroma.  Or the stalls which perpetuate the stereotype that all French love stripes.
Once I got to the Seine I turned left, away from the Tower.  This is what I was looking for -
 She stands at the end of a man-made island near the Pont de Grenelle.
If you look the other way, you can see I'm not far from the Tower
but the landscape here is very different.  The buildings are more modern
and there's more industry and fewer - far fewer! - tourists.  I looked up to see what looked like a tram in the sky.
 Two icons.
Heading back the way I'd come I went past the Tower and ended up at the Pont d'Alma to see a full size replica of the Statue of Liberty's flame, set in a star shaped base.
 Just behind is the entrance to the tunnel where Diana died.
She has not been forgotten.

No comments:

Post a Comment