Thursday, May 31, 2012

Vienna to Chartres (May 28)

I had great luck at the airport - my flight was a code share with Air France so I walked past the crowds lining up at the Austrian Airlines counters and had personal service at another counter - all done in about 5 minutes.  The young lass had a good chuckle at my German.  I said I was travelling to Paris - but used the word "fahren" - to walk or drive - rather than "fliegen" to fly.  She had visions of me hitching my way across the continent.  Language lessons in real life.  I don't know why (and I am so NOT complaining about this) but I was the only one in my row, when the rest of the plane was crowded.  A man moved to the aisle seat during the flight, but still so much better than 3 abreast.  The fields were so gorgeous I took dozens of photos.
One of my "bucket list" wishes from long long ago was to travel on the Concorde.  This is the closest I think I'll get to that.
Flying itself is quick, but the getting to the airport and getting away after a flight - well that's a whole other story.  I finally found my way to the car hire place (long walk, travelator ride, train ride and elevator ride) and got my car.  I asked for a French one - I figured a Fiat wouldn't be as familiar with the roads as a Renault.  I must have been right, as my gorgeous Twingo got me onto the right road with only one slight detour.  You'll think me a wuss, but I burst into tears when Chartres first appeared on one of the direction signs - I was so happy.  This is the road into the village where I'm staying. 
Flat wheat fields with a view to the cathedral (out of shot) in the distance.  And burst of bright poppies every so often.

No comments:

Post a Comment