Sunday, May 6, 2012

Friday (May 4)

Some scarves that I never get around to wearing at home are perfect here.  This one I bought in a thrift shop in the US more than 10 years ago - a silk Kenzo.
This one I bought here a couple of weeks ago
The plan for today was to go to a free midday concert in a church near St Lazare.  I was way early so I walked the streets waiting until the doors opened.  This is a McDonalds.
A chateau to consumerism - the Printemps department store.
It's always worth having a sticky beak into courtyards
 because you never know what you might see.
I wonder whether this is where she sells all the stuff she pinched.
An organ grinder's cats.
As it turned out, "free" meant "leave a sizeable donation".  Actually, I'm not sure what the expected amount was, but it certainly wasn't a gold coin.  There were 20s, 10s and the odd 5 in the basket.  I bailed, pushing against the tide of incoming music lovers.  I decided to spend my money on food, and had a moules frites lunch.  The waiter was a very helpful and sweet young man.  The couple of ladies next to me smiled when I took some photos of my food and we exchanged a few words.  The man on my right was from Russia so we had a short chat.  They were not the best moules I've had, and the frites were a bit stale, but it was a lovely lunch.  It was satisfying to see the pile of shells grow.
So much better than this option.
I thought a walk was in order, so off I toddled.  Remember the tiny cafe I sat in in Montmartre?  This is the opposite end of the scale.
There's always something quirky to be seen.
These 2CVs can be hired to tootle around Paris.

I had a wander amongst the books - I was tempted, but held fast.
Tolstoy lived here when he was 29.

1 comment: