Friday, May 25, 2012

Vienna (May 23)

I found a post office not too far from where I'm staying.
Another 4.5 Kg of bits and pieces are heading home without me.  The origami skills needed to assemble the two-piece box was beyond me, so one of the staff took pity on me and helped me.  En route to finding the place, I came across a few fabric shops - this one looked very neat and tidy.
After posting my parcel, I decided to say in the area - known at Mexicoplatz.  The restaurant I chose had internet access, which was great, as I have had no connection in my apartment.  I had a tasting plate of middle eastern entrees
 served with enough chilli to make anyone happy, I think
and schnitzel with "pommes" pronounced pom-ess.  I had no idea what it could be until the guy brought out the plate.
All washed down with a 1/4 litre of red Turkish wine.  I then headed to the Prater - a big park with walking trails and a fun fair.
This is the home of the Riesenrad.
And of course there are Harry Lime references.
Food is available as you'd expect.
I chose gelato and sat on the grass in view of the Riesenrad.  I had my usual lemon - can't go without that - and then two other flavours - melon and peach.
I headed back into town then.  These mime artists are everywhere - this one had a musical instrument.  I think it's play for pay. 
 Right near him I saw this - I wonder if he's auditioned?
Cafe Central is one of the most famous coffee houses in Vienna.  There are stories and stories of all the important people who've been there - now they can add me to their list.
 
As luck would have it, I arrived at the right time to hear live piano music.
 
 This is a kind of blackforest cake without the cherries.
 Elegantly served coffee.
I had a longer than expected walk across town to get to my Mozart concert.  Would you believe I was late?  I missed about 6-8 minutes - the first item on the program.  When I was let in, I had the best luck - the easiest seat to get to was right in the middle with only the aisle in front of me - I had a great view.  The small orchestra wears traditional clothing from the Mozart era, and rather than full pieces, they play only a movement here and there of well-known compositions.  The Jupiter Symphony, Eine Kleine Nachtmusik, arias from Don Giovanni and The Magic Flute.  The evening ended with the Blue Danube Waltz and the Radetsky March.  Great fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment