Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Portes Ouvertes (May 13)

Things don't get going too early here - the art studios were not going to be open until 2pm, and would be open until 9pm, so I didn't have to rush.  It was a perfect day - absolutely clear blue skies!  See - the sky really IS blue!!
People were out and about enjoying the day.
I didn't take photos inside any of the studios.  Some of the artists exhibited in places other than where they worked.  A collective of embroidery artists chose the local laundromat.
People were getting on with the business of washing and drying their clothes while the rest of us wandered in and out looking at the work around the walls.  Really interesting stuff - drawing on linens then stitching, rough samplers, layering of gauze and old lace on top of embroideries.  One piece in particular appealed to me - someone had taken a toile de jouy fabric in red and had enbroidered a brown tree behind the birds and flowers and animals printed on the fabric - awesome!  Another location was so festive -
long ropes of fabric were everywhere - strips were on the floor inside and people were taking them and plaiting and twisting them to make more ropes to hang around the place.  The creative spirit got me thinking - now how could I decorate this cast off?
The crypt of this church had displays too.
One artist had taken simple petticoats made of calico and embellished them in amazing ways.  My favourite was a piece where she'd layered tea bags on the front - she'd drawn on each tea bag and dyed some mauve - hung some off the hem, and underneath was circle of tea leaves surrounded by tea lights.  It was incredibly beautiful.  I wish more artists had postcards of their work.  One painter did have cards you could buy - his paintings had the most beautiful luminosity to them.
This area has heaps of street art too
I love the shadow of the cat.
 It's so real.
 These crazy people were a harmony singing group.
Suddenly there were trash and treasure stalls everywhere.  I did find some bargains.  When this woman knocked down a pashmina to 1 euro - well, I joined in the fun and bought it.
 Cars just stop wherever - a corner?  No problems.
 As I walked home I glimpsed something in the distance...

1 comment: