Sunday, May 6, 2012

Marais (May 5)

The Marais is a well known area of Paris and quite well to do in some parts.  One of the most beautiful squares in the world, some say, is the Place des Vosges (I wish I knew how to pronounce it).  It's perfectly symmetrical and there are these gorgeous arched walkways all around underneath the buildings that frame the square.
This was my entry to it - one of 36 that are all built along the same proportions.  They date from the 1600s.  The central park used to be a place for jousting and tournaments.
There are a lot of art galleries here - I've already picked out some pieces I'll come back and buy when I win the lottery - I like to be prepared.  This restaurant
had beautifully laid tables.  Note the warm rugs folded over the backs of chairs, in case diners need them.
 Victor Hugo lived at Number 6 for a number of years and wrote Les Miserables here.
"Creating is remembering"
On another street, I saw a construction of metallic macarons
 Trompe l'oeil
 Specialty assistance.
 Don't ever assume you can duck between cars to cross the road.
This
is the main thoroughfare of the Jewish quarter.  Being a Saturday, a number of the shops were closed.  It's also a centre for felafel and other Middle Eastern food.  Quite a few places billed themselves as "the best"...of course!!  I headed home for lunch, but first had a stop at the supermarket.  Their hours are 8.30am to midnight.
Why?  because after midnight, it's tomorrow.

2 comments:

  1. Another lovely wander around Paris & I'm not even tired! You're a great tour guide, Kate!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been reading my Paris guidebook and getting excited. Your wanderings are really bringing it all home.

    ReplyDelete