Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Sunday May 6 (part 2)

The great thing about Paris is that you can't go too far without striking something interesting, noteworthy, fascinating or surprising.  I think all great cities are like that.  That's certainly been my experience.  So I was just wandering along aiming generally for the centre, and I found the Jardin des Plantes.  Now, I am as far from a botanic garden lover as you can get, but this place was great.  First off, in pride of place, the Wollemi Pine - what a welcome.
Then a glorious vista,
 and as well as all the plants, gorgeous poppy beds,
a hotel for wild bees,
 and a labyrinth.
I made sure to hug a tree for Ann.  There is a small zoo here which is walled off and you have to pay to get in, but this cute little creature decided to have a nap in full view of us walking around the outside. 
My trek to town continued - Campbell Newman eat your heart out!
Then I started noticing a police presence, guard rails being put up, rows and rows of gendarme vans.  Something was happening and I worked out that the epicentre was the place de la Bastille.  It was the night of the announcement of the outcome of the elections.  I hung around for quite a while seeing all the preparations, heaps of secret service/security people, media, lots of others coming and going.
I figured it would still be a while - so I came home, had a kir at my local bar instead.  The place was full of people, and I learned later that the number swelled even more.  At home, I heard the car horns start at 8pm - I knew there'd been an outcome.  And the horns didn't stop for a good hour after that.

No comments:

Post a Comment